Entering the recording studio can be an adventure, but between the rush for the money invested, the songs that do not sound the way you want, and the clock that ticks, it can happen that everything quickly becomes hell.
Throughout our career as musicians , there comes a time when we find ourselves in need of entering a recording studio. Whatever format we choose to record and the way we do it, we must always take into account some steps to follow to achieve a good result and have a good experience.
Consult various recording studios
Going into a studio to record can often be tedious, especially if we don’t have a producer or manager who is specifically in charge of the “administrative” part of the matter.
That’s why I recommend not having a single studio in mind as an option when recording. Listening to the previous works of the studies can give us a glimpse of the way of working and results that you could obtain.
It is not one hundred percent a rule but it will give us an idea of the audio they achieve. Always taking into account the budget we have for the project. At this point we can consider: cost / experience / equipment / availability.
Live and feel the study “at home”
Relaxing during the recording process is very important since what we try to convey through our songs is directly linked to feelings and moods.
If we are not comfortable when recording, it will be reflected in the final result. Consequently, when we hear our recording finished, we will hardly be satisfied if the recording process does not treat us well.
Therefore, it is best to feel comfortable in the recording , which will be heard in the execution, not getting nervous will save us from having to re-record.
The recording process is an investment
Either because of the economic cost or because of our time, entering a recording studio is an investment. Therefore this implies seriousness, discipline and organization to obtain good results.
During the recording we must focus on our songs and if we are organized during the process we will not have to worry about other issues, thus discarding anything that distracts us from our goal.
During the recording, look for the interaction between technique and feeling in the shots
We never have to forget that music is an art and like all art it is decoded in different ways depending on the person who receives it. Therefore, the cross between a good execution and the emotion that comforts us at that moment is what we must look for in the shot. To achieve this, it often helps to keep the following points in mind:
- If you make a mistake try to continue and finish the song . Then the parts where the error is are rewritten in case it can be done. Starting from scratch often exhausts us more easily, can be tedious and puts everyone in a bad mood. Today it is easier to correct the error and continue recording.
- It is worth recording a couple of extra takes as it could be used to put together a good take with the best parts.
- Nor is it advisable to think that everything can be fixed later in the mix, only if it is very necessary, the ideal is that the takes have naturalness when executed during the recording.
- Trying to recognize when you feel exhausted is good to not waste time. If we have any symptoms of fatigue it is better to take a break since exhaustion can affect our way of executing the shot.
- In the case of an instrument it is always good to check the tuning constantly . Many times in the midst of the enthusiasm we can get out of tune and if just the execution convinced us, it would not be good to have to discard it due to a question of tuning when playing it.
- While new ideas can be added to songs, it is best to avoid incorporating very difficult and complicated parts once the recording process has started. Well, having it rehearsed will delay us and will only waste time. Remember that many times the simpler melodies are more effective.
- Have a positive attitude, and don’t lose patience if something doesn’t come out. If you don’t feel safe, you have to postpone and continue with other parts so as not to delay. Later it can be completed.
I hope this small contribution will help you and make your experience easier when entering a studio to record. Always remember that you must enjoy what you do, if not do not do it.…